JOB TITLE: Assistant Director of Independent Living EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/2015
DEPARTMENT: Independent Living REPORTS TO: Director of IL
STATUS: Full-time; salaried exempt
Provides oversight of operations pertaining to the Independent Living (IL) Programs at the direction of the Independent Living Director and fills in for the Director as needed. Duties include direct supervision of IL Program Managers and oversight of IL Programs. Participates in the strategic planning process, develops and executes adequate IL infrastructure, assists with developing and monitoring IL budget. Facilitates the Board appointed Program Committee for the purposes of Program evaluation. Works closely with the Development Officer and Finance to oversee the management of IL grants. Ensures the IL program meets all state and federal compliance standards and that the philosophy, mission, goals and core values of the Independence Center are maintained throughout our 6 county catchment area.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Social Services or related field.
- Five years’ leadership/managerial experience to include experience managing multiple programs and supervision of staff; experience as a director or assistant director preferred.
- Two years’ experience with setting and monitoring program budgets.
- Preferred knowledge of legislative issues and policy.
- Experience working with people with disabilities.
- The capacity to work independently.
- Proficiency with MS Windows, MS Office, and other common computer programs.
- Demonstration of the IC’s core Values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person First, Accountability and Integrity.
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
- Ensure the philosophy, mission and vision of The Independence Center is maintained.
- Work with IL Director to establish and achieve annual & quarterly strategic planning goals and directives for the IL program.
- Responsible for maintaining State & Federal CIL funding by submitting the Section704 Annual Performance Report, SILS & OIB grant contracts on an annual basis and SILS & OIB monthly billing reports to the State. Monitor and ensure all other contracts/grants for IL services and programs are renewed and fulfilled as needed.
- Ensure the Independent Living program meets all state and federal compliance standards.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of IL Program Managers to include setting quarterly and yearly performance goals and completing yearly evaluations.
- Work with the Director and Board appointed Program Committee to evaluate IL program outcomes and gain approval for new IL programing.
- Responsible for the completion of the monthly CEO report and communicating IL updates to the IL Director.
- Fill in for the IL Director as needed or requested as various local and state meetings to include Director and Board meetings.
- Ensure managers and staff receive cross training to ensure adequate coverage for all IL Programs.
- Oversee the hiring and approval processes for new employees and work with Human Resources as needed.
- Coordinate activities and communication between departments as applicable.
- Coordinate grant funded opportunities with Development Officer as needed and ensure grant outcomes and reports are submitted.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with coworkers, partnering agencies and the public. Represent The IC through speaking engagement opportunities as requested.
- Approval of timesheets and time off requests in the company payroll system as required.
- Maintain confidentiality as outlined in the employee handbook and work within the confines of HIPAA regulations.
- Travel as needed for training, conference, and meetings.
- Develop and maintain a non-hostile and safe work environment which welcomes diversity and embraces cross disabilities of staff and consumers.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Possess decision making and problem solving skills
- Able to complete tasks in an organized and punctual manner
- Excellent interpersonal and good active listening skills.
- Excellent communication skills, Including public speaking
- Strong program planning skills
- Office environment requiring ongoing computer use and extended amount of time sitting or standing.
- Some regional and national travel may be required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position may also require the performance of other duties as assigned.
If you are qualified and wish to apply, or know of someone who meets the qualifications listed, a cover letter and resume should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply for this position is July 1.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.