This week, Governor Polis issued a Stay-at-Home Order, mandating that residents must remain in their homes except to conduct essential business and activities, However, we want you to know that you are not alone during this unprecedented time.
Although our physical offices are closed at The Independence Center, we are still answering all calls to 719-471-8181 and our staff is also corresponding via email. We are dedicated to supporting our consumers and clients, and continue to advocate for their needs.
Our disability community is diverse, and this crisis is impacting individuals in different ways. We know that many people with disabilities have been dealing with health challenges, economic difficulties, and social barriers that may have been intensified by the COVID-19 outbreak.
During this time, we all need to deepen our commitment to our personal health and the health of our community. So starting today, we will be sending out weekly emails to help people with disabilities and their community do just that!
First, we encourage you to stay up to date with COVID-19 news and safety guidelines using the links below, and check out this practical coronavirus guide for people with disabilities.
• CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
• Colorado COVID updates: https://covid19.colorado.gov/
• The Independence Center’s COVID-19 web page, which will be updated with additional information as it becomes available. https://www.theindependencecenter.org/covid-19/
Links to Resources
• If you have an emergency need for food, find Food Access/Distribution Resources provided by Colorado Springs Food Rescue.
• If you are on Medicaid and need support with medication or medical care, connect with a CCHA Care Coordinator.
• If you need prescription refills, call your insurance company and ask about obtaining prescriptions through the mail. Most insurance companies and pharmacies offer a 90-day mail-out option.
• If you need mental health support, contact NAMI to learn more about their free online support groups. If you have a more urgent mental health need, call Colorado Crisis Services at 844.493.8255, or text the word “TALK” to 38255.
• If you need financial support, dial 211.
Remember, we’re all in this together. If you have any type of disability-related question or need during this time, please call us at 719-471-8181 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re here to help!
CEO, The Independence Center