Director of Independent Living
Provides oversight and reporting of operations pertaining to the Independent Living Programs at the direction of the CEO. Identifies and assists in the development of new areas of needed services to be provided by the center with the approval of the Board of Directors. Responsible for overall operations of the Independent Living Center to include staffing, planning, developing, budgeting, implementing and evaluating Center programs. Assists with legislative advocacy work with contract lobbyist. Collaborate and work with state entities such as Designated State Unit (DSU), Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) and Association of Colorado Centers for Independent Living (ACCIL). Ensures the Independent Living program meets all state and federal compliance standards and that the philosophy, mission and goals of the Independence Center are maintained.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Human Services, Social Services or related field. A Masters Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years leadership/managerial experience.
- Experience working with people with disabilities.
- The capacity to treat individuals with disabilities in a respectful and dignified manner which supports and empowers their capacity for independence.
- Proficient with computer, including, Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, and Outlook.
- The ability to arrange transportation and travel independently including the ability to travel freely throughout the counties that we serve to network, collaborate with regard to IL services.
- Demonstrates THE IC’s core values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person First, Accountability and Integrity and essential team virtues of Humble, Hungry and Smart.
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
- Ensure the Independent Living program meets all state and federal compliance standards.
- Ensure the philosophy, mission and goals of the independent living center is maintained.
- Establish, achieve, and report on annual goals and directives for the IL program.
- Evaluate new and existing programming to assess suitability and the need for changes.
- Communicate with the CEO and Board of Directors by providing monthly IL updates to keep them apprised of current and future activities.
- Ensure Section704 Annual Performance Report is submitted on a yearly basis and ensures application for SILS funds is completed/submitted as required by state & local funding laws.
- Ensure monthly billing for all IL Programs are submitted on a monthly basis in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with legislative issues and support efforts as approved by the CEO & board.
- Ensure training and cross-training programs for IL staff is maintained.
- Collaborate with local and statewide community partners to educate and ensure civil rights and ADA compliance for people with disabilities.
- Evaluate IL program managers on a yearly basis and provide support with IL staff evaluations as needed.
- Partner with HR in the hiring process for open positions when necessary.
- Coordinate activities and communication between departments as applicable.
- Work with Development Director to develop funding resources through grants and services for Independent Living Program.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with coworkers and the public.
- Speak effectively before groups of consumers and other organizations.
- Assist with resolving employee payroll issues as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality as outlined in the employee handbook and work within the confines of HIPAA regulations.
- Build and maintain a strong IL team consisting of approximately 4 program managers & 30 staff.
- Travel as needed for training, conferences, and meetings.
- Develop and maintain a safe work environment that welcomes diversity and embraces cross disabilities of staff and consumers.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills to successfully engage and manage empowered staff members
- Self-motivated and flexible.
- Possess decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Able to complete tasks in an organized and punctual manner.
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Excellent interpersonal and good active listening skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing.
- Strong program planning skills.
- Ability to constructively deal with conflict and teach others to do the same.
- Office environment requiring ongoing computer use and extended amount of time sitting or standing.
- Some regional travel required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position will also require the performance of other duties as assigned.
I have read and understand the above job description:
If you are qualified and wish to apply, please route your resume and salary expectations along with a cover letter addressing your alignment with the minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.