Independent Living Deaf Specialist II
REPORTS TO: IL Program Manager
STATUS: Full-time; 40 hours/week, non-exempt hourly
Understand and model the Independent Living Philosophy. Identify individual needs and assess and make appropriate referrals both in person and on the phone. Responsible for providing individual advocacy services and mentoring for consumers and have knowledge of the ADA and Rehabilitation Act. Enter all pertinent data into database and communicate with colleagues regarding the need for additional involvement. Work in partnership with other community agencies and resources to meet consumer needs. Provide systemic advocacy within the disability community. This position will primarily serve consumers who are deaf.
- Associate’s degree plus 4 years of experience serving the Deaf community OR Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years of experience serving the Deaf community.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Knowledge of cultural norms within and the ability to interact with members of the Deaf community.
- Experience working with people with disabilities, empowering the consumer to promote independence.
- Ability to travel within Colorado Springs and surrounding counties to meet with individuals, including accessing consumer homes, attending meetings, and presenting information.
- Proficient computer skills, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Teams, Zoom, and Outlook.
- Demonstrates The IC’s core values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person-First, Accountability and Integrity, and essential team virtues of Humble, Hungry and Smart.
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
- Support the philosophy, mission, and goals of the Independent Living program.
- Provide direct communication and services to individuals who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing by responding to consumer needs and requests for information and available resources. Work to assure that consumers receive quality services by identifying needs and making appropriate referrals to IL staff (as needed for employment, housing, SSI benefits, etc.) or to external community partners, when appropriate. Follow up with individuals who are given referrals to outside resources, to ensure their needs are being met.
- Have a working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act.
- Assist consumers in identifying goals and developing an Independent Living Plan (ILP).
- Work with Outreach team in outlying areas to facilitate meetings with staff and educate consumers for optimal goal development.
- Provide individual advocacy services with consumers as requested.
- Advocate, educate, and promote community awareness on disability issues.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation necessary for a Consumer Service Record (CSR) or develop an ILP, including entering data into the database to meet State regulatory requirements.
- Attend all required meetings.
- Maintain confidentiality as outlined in the employee handbook and work within the confines of HIPAA regulations.
- Accept responsibility for professional development and position-related training.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary for the position.
Skills and Abilities:
- Personal experience with a disability and knowledge of the Independent Living movement is desirable.
- Must be organized and able to juggle multiple priorities as well as deadlines.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to write routine reports, assessments, and related correspondence.
- The capacity to empower individuals with disabilities to advocate for themselves.
- Office environment requires ongoing computer use and an extended amount of time sitting and standing.
- To drive any vehicle in the course and scope of employment, an employee must maintain an acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) as determined by The IC’s liability insurance carrier. IC employees will be subject to reasonable suspicion, post-incident, and bi-annual random MVR checks to determine driving acceptability.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower the qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions of this position.
Salary range: $16.00 to $18.00 per hour
If you are qualified and wish to apply, please route your resume and cover letter addressing your alignment with the minimum qualifications to email@example.com.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.