June 2, 2020
Caring for Your Dental Health During COVID-19
To help flatten the curve of the COVID-19 pandemic and ensure the safety of both patients and providers, many dental practices are delaying routine procedures like cleanings. However, staying on top of your dental care is more important than ever. Because bacteria from your mouth can easily enter your bloodstream, poor oral hygiene can contribute to other conditions such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and respiratory infections.
Luckily, our partners at DentaQuest created a flyer steps you can take to ensure your teeth stay in tip-top shape until you can see your dentist again. You can view the full flyer (in English and Spanish) by clicking here: Stay Healthy While Staying at Home. But below are a few of the things they suggest:
- Drink plenty of water! Dry mouth can cause open sores, aches, and tooth decay.
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Floss your teeth once a day.
- Eat lots of washed fruits and vegetables if possible.
- Don’t eat sticky or sweet foods or drink sugary drinks. Both contribute to tooth decay.
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress like taking deep breaths, stretching, or exercising.
For more dental care tips and resources, visit DentaQuest’s Ongoing COVID-19 Response page. And if you’re looking for an accessible dental practice in Colorado Springs, click here for a map and list of providers.