COVID-19 Resource Page
To our consumers, clients, and friends,
It’s hard to believe it’s been almost three months since we closed our buildings to outside visitors. We made the decision to close even before the Governor’s official Stay-at-Home order because there is nothing more important to us that the health and safety of our consumers, friends, and staff.
For the same reason, we chose not to reopen our buildings immediately after the new Safer-at-Home order went into effect. My leadership staff and I wanted to make sure we were reopening in a careful and thoughtful way, and that we are taking the proper steps to protect those who work here and those we serve.
With a plan now in place, I am happy to announce that we will partially reopen our buildings beginning June 15, 2020.
What does a partial reopening mean for you?
- We will take in-person meetings by appointment only (no walk-ins until further notice). Please call 719-471-8181 to schedule.
- Guests will be asked to remain outside and to call or knock on the door when they arrive for their appointment.
- When making the appointment and before entering the building, all guests will be asked health screening questions.
- Anyone who is sick or who has been exposed to someone who is sick will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
- Masks will be required for guests and staff. Guests are encouraged to bring their own masks but if they do not have any, we will supply them with one. Our staff will wear transparent masks when meeting with Deaf and hard of hearing consumers.
- We will hold certain support groups/skills classes onsite. However, we will limit the number of people attending in person to ensure social distancing. Those unable to join support groups at The IC may join via phone or video conferencing.
- Our staff will sanitize offices/conference rooms between meetings.
Please keep in mind that, in order to adhere to Safer-at-Home rules, we currently have a very limited number of staff members onsite. If your question or need can be fulfilled by calling (719-471-8181) or emailing us (email@example.com), we encourage you to utilize that option.
However, we understand that there are some things that truly need to be handled face-to-face. So please don’t hesitate to set up an appointment to come in.
A lot of things have changed in the three months since our buildings were last open, but one thing that will never change is our commitment to those we serve. Whether by email, phone, or in person, we’re here to help!
Stay safe and well,
Patricia Yeager, CEO
The Independence Center
To see the message we sent out to consumers, clients, and friends prior to the Stay at Home Order, click here.
The IC works with a network of partners and resources to help people with disabilities live more independent lives. If you need assistance during COVID-19, we urge you to reach out to The IC at 719-471-8181 or contact one of the organizations in the link below.
Create Your Own Health and Wellness Plan
Create a plan including your checklist, support circle, support needs, meal plans, and various other topics necessary to maintain your health and wellness in the time of COVID-19. You can request training on building your plan on our “Schedule Training” page, or you can download and build your own plan by clicking on the “Download PDF” button below.
The links below should be helpful for planning and preparedness.