Caregiver Abuse and Neglect
Every person deserves care that not only allows them to have the independence they desire but that is also safe and supportive. If you, or someone you know, suspects that a caregiver isn’t providing this kind of care, read on to see if that care is the type that needs to be reported and ended.
Abuse refers to any willful act or omission of a caregiver which results in physical injury, mental anguish, unreasonable confinement, sexual abuse, or financial exploitation to a vulnerable adult. Below are some examples of abuse to help you identify caregiver mistreatment:
- Financial Abuse and Exploitation
- Denies access to money
- Using credit cards or ATM/Debit card
- Forging checks
- Emotional Abuse
- Calling names, ignoring, criticizing, etc.
- Humiliating individual
- Treating person like a child
- Physical Abuse
- Pushing, hitting, slapping, pinching, kicking, biting, inappropriate handling, etc.
- Overuse of restraints
- Sexual Abuse
- Verbal harrassment
- Sexual assault
- Misuse of medications
Neglect is the failure of a caregiver to provide essential services necessary to maintain the physical and/or mental health of the person they are the caregiver of. Some examples of neglect are:
- Not providing meals or denying food
- Not providing transportation
- Not providing required services or not working assigned hours
- Lack of personal care (bathing, proper hygiene, etc.)
- Leaving individual in soiled undergarments
- Using vehicle without permission
- Removing assistive technology, such as wheelchairs, walkers, TTY, etc.
- Leaving unattended
- Withholding medications
If you suspect a caregiver is abusing or neglecting a person they’re caring for, below are places you can contact for more information.
Abused Deaf Women’s Advocacy Services
Centro de la Familia
Main Office: 719-227-9170
Domestic Violence Hotline
Domestic Violence Initiative
Main Office: 303-839-5510
El Paso County Department of Human Services
Adult abuse or neglect: 719-444-5755 or DHS-APS@elpasoco.com
Child abuse or neglect: 719-444-5700 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Office: 719-633-1462
Crisis Hotline: 719-633-3819
The information here is only intended as general guidance and practices. Information should not be considered all inclusive or as medical health advice.
For Home Health care that you can trust, contact our Home Health Admin and Referral Specialist at 719-471-8181 or contact us using our online form.