May 9, 2018
How to Apply for Medicaid
One of the most difficult challenges many clients face in achieving the level of care they require is that they must apply for Medicaid. This can be a complex process for those without expert help. Within this page, we’ll explain more about how to apply for Medicaid. Following our guide will help ensure the required level of care is available.
The steps to apply for Medicaid include:
- Visit healthcare.gov and select Colorado from the listed states. Or you can call your state Medicaid office to begin the application process.
- Gather the required information, including the following:
- Proof of age
- Proof of citizenship status
- Proof of sources of income
- Proof of assets and other resources
- Proof of residence
- Proof of number of people in household
- Proof of other insurance
- Submit your application by following the instructions for the state of Colorado. Options for submitting the application include submitting a paper copy or submitting an online application. You may also choose to submit an in-person application at your local Medicaid office.
- Wait for a response to your application. When you apply for Medicaid, the state must respond within 45 days. You have a right to appeal if your application is denied.
- Choose your provider. Make sure the provider has many years of experience and ask them about their specific services before making a final decision. It’s important to meet with several providers to ensure you’re comfortable with your choice.
If you or a loved one need help with the Medicaid application process, The Independence Center has a highly skilled Benefits department that can walk you through the process. For more information on our benefits services, visit our “Help with SSI/SSDI Benefits” page.
Our team at The Independence Center is known for our award-winning home care services. To discover more about your service options, contact our team now for a consultation.