Empowering Youth with Disabilities
The Independence Center works to empower youth between the ages of 14 and 24 who have disabilities. Through our Youth Services, we provide supports and encouragement to help young adults thrive.
- In-school workshops
- These workshops connect with young adults, and spread awareness on topics important to The Independence Center.
- As a standard curriculum provided in schools, we facilitate (among other topics): An Introduction to the Independence Center (that is paired with a tour of our building), Self-Advocacy, and Disability\Mental Health Awareness.
- We provide these and other workshops to school districts upon request.
- Community-based workshops
- We make all our school workshops available to the community, in addition to family-based workshops that ensure our consumers have a strong support system.
- Youth support group
- Our youth support group offers youth the opportunity to share and learn in a peer-supported environment. The frequency of the group varies per quarter; find the schedule in our up to date calendar.
- Youth Transitions Program
- This program is available to youth with significant disabilities who are eligible for IEP or 504 plans. Please contact us to learn more.
For more information about our Youth Services, please contact our Youth Advocate, Nina Kamekona, by emailing email@example.com or by calling 719-471-8181.
"I am a recent graduate of The IC CNA School and a new employee to The IC. I am so proud to be a part of such a warm and caring team! I loved how the course is fast, to the point, yet very thorough. And the great part is that it’s taught in a way that you will never forget. I was able to ace both my written and clinical exams! I feel confident with my training that I have the foundation that I need to be an effective and efficient CNA. Thank you to The IC for my new career and for being such a bright light for people with disabilities!"
"I am a recent graduate of the program and a current employee of The Independence Center. It was a thorough program. The information contained in the program will be so invaluable to me. I will be to get a better job and be able to support my family. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to become a CNA. I was glad for the opportunity to further my career."