Youth Transitions Program
Our Youth Transitions Program here at The IC is all about empowering youth with significant disabilities. We define youth as young adults between the ages of 14 and 24, with a significant disability as IEP\504 Plan eligible. Through this program, we have a Youth Advocate who provides support as a peer, in helping consumer’s reach independent living goals. The Youth Advocate provides a wide array of services to cater to the goals that are set by our consumers.
- In-school workshops
- The in-school workshops we host are based on connecting with young adults, and spreading awareness on topics that are important to The Independence Center.
- As a standard curriculum provided in schools, we facilitate an Introduction to the Independence Center (that is paired with a tour of our building), Self-Advocacy, and Disability\Mental Health Etiquette
- There are many more workshops provided to the school districts upon request.
- Community based workshops
- Youth transitions consists of such a large age range, and our community focused workshops are meant to include the portion of young adults that are no longer in\or receiving secondary education services.
- Everything provided within classrooms are also provided to the community, with the addition of family based workshops to ensure our consumers have a strong support system in their transition.
- Youth Support Group
- The frequency of our youth support group varies per-quarter, and can be found in our up to date calendar.
For more information about upcoming events, workshops, or changes, or if you have any questions on how to get started, please contact our Youth Advocate, Nina Kamekona through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 719-471-8181 ext. 129
"I am a recent graduate of The IC CNA School and a new employee to The IC. I am so proud to be a part of such a warm and caring team! I loved how the course is fast, to the point, yet very thorough. And the great part is that it’s taught in a way that you will never forget. I was able to ace both my written and clinical exams! I feel confident with my training that I have the foundation that I need to be an effective and efficient CNA. Thank you to The IC for my new career and for being such a bright light for people with disabilities!"
"I am a recent graduate of the program and a current employee of The Independence Center. It was a thorough program. The information contained in the program will be so invaluable to me. I will be to get a better job and be able to support my family. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to become a CNA. I was glad for the opportunity to further my career."