Identification Procedure


This list is based on the date and time of your application.  It is very important to keep the Housing Authority notified of any change of address.  If you do not respond, you will be taken off the list and be required to re-apply.
When you have been notified, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Picture ID
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security card (see below)
  • 2 years of landlord references

A credit and background check will be done.


Birth Certificate:
A fee is usually required in order to obtain a copy of your birth certificate. Ecumenical Social Ministries or Marion House can assist you in ordering your birth certificate via computer.

We can also provide a list of state vital records and assist at The Independence Center.  Name, date and place of birth, and parents’ names are usually required to order a copy of your birth certificate.

Social Security Card:
You can apply at the Social Security office at Academy and Galley.  If you need an original card you will need proof of age, identity and U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

If you need a duplicate card, you must show proof of identity.  They will accept a driver’s license, employer ID, passport, marriage or divorce record, adoption record, health insurance card (not Medicare card), military records, insurance policy or school ID card.  Photocopies or notarized copies are not acceptable.

If applying for a card on behalf of someone else, they must see proof of identity for both you and the person to whom the card is issued.  They do not accept birth or hospital birth records, Social Security stub card or record.

Colorado Picture ID:
Can be acquired at the Department of Motor Vehicles.  There are two required forms of proof of identification: proof of age – such as a birth certificate, passport, military ID, resident alien card or U.S. state issued photo or drivers license ID, and proof of name, if your name is different from the one on the document presented for proof of age.  A marriage or divorce certificate will be accepted, as will a court order of a name change or state issued drivers license or ID.