Transition Services

Community Transition Services (CTS) is based on the belief that individuals can live successfully in the community with the appropriate supports and services. If you have lived in a long-term care facility for 90 days or more, are Medicaid enrolled, and are willing to move to housing in the community, you may be eligible for Community Transition Services free of charge through the Colorado Choice Transitions (CCT) program. CCT provides assistance to help long-term care residents relocate into the community using available home and community-based services to support the transition.

CTS services at The Independence Center may include:

  • Services to help you set up your home, such as moving expenses, security and utility deposits, and household furnishings
  • Services to help you develop and maintain your independence, such as financial management and organizing your home
  • Devices or equipment used to increase or maintain your ability to function independently in the community, such as wheelchair ramps, bed lifts, and shower bars
  • Home-delivered meals and meal preparation
  • Assistance with eating, bathing, dressing and housekeeping
  • Transportation services

Demonstration Services

Demonstration Services work on strengthening independent living skills in the comfort of your new home. They are available to you beyond the 30 days if you transition under the CCT program. Demonstration services can last for 365 days after discharge from a nursing home (or 540 hours, whichever comes first). Demonstration services occur on a one-to-one basis with an Independent Living (IL) Specialist. The IL Specialist may help with IL skills training in areas such as:

  • Household budgeting
  • Cooking and meal planning
  • Organization of the home
  • Diabetes education
  • Individual advocacy
  • How to utilize public transportation

If you want to live independently outside the nursing home, click below to contact our Transition Coordinator or call 719-471-8181.

Contact Us To Learn More

Home Modification Information

The Independence Center (The IC) can inform you about Medicaid and non-Medicaid home modifications so you can see if you qualify for either. If you’re in need of a modification to your home that will greatly improve your safety, independence or quality of life, please click on the button below for more information and who to contact.

Looking For A Home Modification?