by Michelle West
- TV: Ensure you are turned into a credible source. The IC is working with local news stations to ensure information is captioned in real time and at a pace people can read.
- All-Hazard Radios: Know instantly when an emergency alert is issued with these audio and text alert radios! There are add-ons including flashers or bed shakers so if an alert comes out at night you’ll know. The Independence Center has identified the Midland Weather Radio as one that is accessible with add-ons that include a light flasher and bed shaker. It is available through midlandusa.com. Be sure to get the assistive attachments for your disability.
- Credible Internet Sites: It is important to ensure you are getting accurate information online during an emergency. The IC has identified several credible websites for emergency information at the bottom of this post.
- E-911: Go to El Paso County website to sign up for local emergency text messages. Sign up at elpasoteller911.org.
- Smart Phones: In this digital age the best way to get information is through your smart phone. Most phones now have a warning system built into them that works with the National Weather Service, meaning if you are traveling and there is an emergency where you are, you will still get an alert! Many newer smart phones are automatically set up to receive alerts. Others may require the downloading of a free app. Check with your wireless carrier to make sure your alerts are in place and turned on.
Emergency Source Checklist:
- Know the local news stations and websites that are accessible to you during an emergency. Many are listed below.
- Research and purchase an All-Hazard radio and the add-ons you need.
- Sign-up for E-911 at elpasoteller911.org./246/.
- Ensure your smartphone can receive emergency texts.
Credible Internet Sites
|H3: El Paso County Websites:
El Paso County
El Paso County Sheriff
El Paso County Public Health
H3: City Websites:
City of Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs Police Department
Colorado Springs Fire Department
H3: Other Websites:
National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) : http://www.noaa.gov/
2-1-1 Resource Line: http://www.211.org/
El Paso Teller 911 Authority:
Sign up for Emergency Notifications in your area: http://www.elpasoteller911.org/246/Emergency-Notification-System
|H3: Local TV News &Weather Websites:
Channel 5 KOAA (NBC)
Channel 11 KKTV (CBS)
Channel 13 KRDO (ABC)
Channel 21 KXRM (Fox)
Facebook: facebook.com/FOX21 News
H3: Local Radio Websites:
KRDO 105.5 FM or 1240 AM
KVOR 740 AM
KZNT 1460 AM
H3: Helpful Consumer-Focused
Wireless RERC: www.wirelessrerc.org
Apps for Enhancing WEA Alerts: http://bit.ly/EnhancingWEAaccess
Need to know Information about WEA: http://bit.ly/NeedtoKnowInfo
Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS): Informational Materials for the Public https://www.fema.gov/informational-materials
Accessible/Accessibility Phone & App finder: https://www.gari.info
CTIA’s Access Wireless: http://accesswireless.org/Home.aspx