DEPARTMENT: Home Health
REPORTS TO: HH Clinical Manager
STATUS: Full-Time, Part-Time, Per Diem, Exempt, Non-exempt
Position summary: Provides quality skilled nursing care to persons with disabilities in their homes; works on team relationships with others and carries out assigned responsibilities. Performs client assessments based on agency and government standards of practice to ensure effective and appropriate homecare services. Directs, plans and initiates appropriate action independently and responsively in home care situations.
- Must have current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Colorado.
- Minimum of one year home health care nursing experience with an understanding of independent living philosophy.
- Two years of nursing experience in caring for the elderly and/or chronically ill of any age, of which at least one year must be in the provision of services in a long-term care facility preferred.
- Experience teaching adults, or have completed a course on teaching adults, or have one year experience managing nurse aides preferred.
- Knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid regulations required.
- Knowledge and skills in current nursing practices and team concept.
- Understanding and knowledge of developing care plans for client care.
- Knowledge of home health regulatory and reimbursement requirements.
- Home healthcare supervisory experience preferred.
- Home health environment, must be able to lift, push, pull up to 50 lbs. frequently.
- Current driver’s license, valid vehicle insurance, safe driving record and reliable transporation, current CPR certification, current TB screening.
- Demonstrates THE IC’s core values of Inclusiveness, Flexibility, Person First, Accountability and Integrity and essential team virtues of Humble, Hungry and Smart.
Essential Functions/Areas of Accountability:
- Carries out the policies of The Independence Center.
- Reviews client referral information, responds to requests and evaluates eligibility and appropriateness of client for home care services.
- Performs client assessments based on agency and government standards of practice to ensure effective and appropriate home care services.
- Considers the physical, psychological and socio-economic needs of the client, and ability for the client needs to be met in the home.
- Provides in home skills validation in a timely manner for Skilled/HCBS programs per regulatory requirements for CNA, LPN and HMAs (within IHSS program).
- Verifies and documents attendant skills and competencies.
- Collaborates with physician and other health care professionals.
- Provides in-home supervision as recommended by the physician and agreed upon by the client/AR.
- Makes decisions and/ or recommendations that reflect consideration of immediate and long-range effects (components of care plan, frequency of skilled visits, and additional services).
- Reviews the Care Plan and Physician’s Attestation annually and at change of condition OR upon request of the client, AR or case manager.
- Directs, plans and initiates appropriate action independently and responsively in home care situations.
- Utilizes agency and community resources appropriately.
- Records documentation of clinical records to ensure compliance with regulatory standards of timeliness, accuracy and completeness and company policy.
- Communicates with other disciplines/departments when required.
- Identifies staffing needs and communicates this information.
- Communicates with physicians and supervisor all changes of client’s conditions and concerns.
- Performs a comprehensive client assessment in the home with the client every 60 days, which includes reviewing/revising the plan of care. Ensures attendants follow the care plan.
- Consults with client about medical issues.
- Supervises CNA, LPN and HMAs (within IHSS program) to provide effective and quality home care services as mandated by Federal and State Regulations.
- Promotes personal safety and safe environment for clients and co-workers:
- Demonstrates knowledge of safety infection control practices by compliance with policies and procedures.
- Counsels staff on difficult cases and dangerous situations.
- Demonstrates and instructs safe and competent practices in the use and maintenance of equipment.
- Assesses safety of environment and takes initiative to prevent accidents and promote safety.
- Participates in all mandatory education per guidelines established by The IC.
- Performs job duties in accordance with agency policies, state regulations and The IC policies and procedures:
- Maintains confidentiality in all aspects of the job. Does not reveal information from client records to others, except as identified in agency policy and in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Secures written and electronic confidential documents in a manner that prevents unauthorized release.
- Provides care in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Completes assigned tasks within established guidelines and time frames.
- Participates in on-call RN rotation.
- Complete 12 annual Continuing Education Units (CEU).
- Maintains Colorado RN License.
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective written and oral communication skills, good interpersonal skills, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with individuals and their families.
- Self-motivated and flexible.
- Possess decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Maintains confidentiality in all areas.
- Good documentation and computer skills.
- Attention to detail and good observation skills.
- Home health environment, must be able to lift, push, pull up to 50 lbs. frequently
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position may also require the performance of other duties as assigned.
If you are qualified and wish to apply, please route your resume and salary expectations along with a cover letter addressing your alignment with the minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Independence Center is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.