May 29, 2013
Safety Tips to Follow DURING a Flood Event
- Move to higher ground and avoid areas subject to flooding.
- Do not attempt to walk across flowing streams, drive through flooded roadways or allow children to play in drainage areas (just 6 inches of moving water can knock an adult off their feet).
- If water rises in your home before you can evacuate, move to the top floor, attic or roof.
- Stay aware of local flash flood warnings through local radio, and TV. Have a battery-operated radio available.
- If you come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and disinfected water.
- Reserve the use of 9-1-1 for life-threatening emergencies. For non-emergent needs requiring public safety response, call (719) 444-7000 within City limits or (719) 390-5555 in El Paso County. For information related questions, call Pikes Peak United Way Information & Referral at (719) 955-0742.