Art of Accessibility
The Independence Center (The IC) hosts “Art of Accessibility” (AoA) exhibits at its facility throughout the year. As a participant in some of the Downtown Partnership’s First Friday events, The IC opens its doors as an art gallery to the public to showcase AoA exhibits, which features art by artists with disabilities. First Friday events are free and open to the public. The IC typically participates in First Friday events in February, June and September.
If you are an artist with a disability in the Colorado Springs area, The IC invites you to submit your art for one of its First Friday exhibits.
Artists will Receive:
- 3 hours of community exposure at the First Friday Downtown event, including media coverage and involvement, and the choice to sell your art and receive 100% of proceeds
- Support with designing and setting up your exhibit (3-5 pieces maximum) from experienced artists, including the provision of easels and arrangement.
- The opportunity to be involved in an artist Q&A, Live Art Demonstration, or other exhibit highlight; if interested, please indicate in exhibit proposal
Artists will Provide:
- Submission information, including name, contact information and a short biography
- A short proposal for your exhibit (a few sentences describing your art)
- Information on any necessary accommodations
- Between 3-5 pictures of your work
- A headshot
NOTE: Artists MUST commit to be available during the following times:
- The day before the AoA event: 5-8 PM for Exhibit Setup and Preparation (participants do not have to stay the entire time; just to set up their own pieces)
- The day of the AoA event from 4:30-8:30 PM for First Friday Downtown Event
For more information, please email ArtOfAccessibility@the-ic.org or call 719-471-8181 ext. 222
If you are an artist with a disability and are interested in submitting your artwork for one of The IC Art of Accessibility events, please fill out the information below. After submitting this form, The IC will send you an email with submission guidelines that outline how to submit your headshot and photos of your work.